Where are we?


Saturday, December 10, 2011

Day 103-105: Dubai

After some debate the night before, we decided that we would spend Thursday at the Aquaventure Waterpark beside the Atlantis Hotel. Mike had some office work to take care of that morning, so Jackie and I killed time running and swimming in the pool before we headed out.

Jackie decided it would not be prudent to take the camera down any of the water slides so we do not have any photos of the park. We did have a great day going around the lazy river (loaded with rapids) and going down each water slide. The park's claim to fame is a slide called 'The Leap of Faith', a 27.5m tall drop that passes through a shark tank. Another novelty is a slide you board at the bottom and that shoots you and your tube up over a few humps to the second level of their slide complex. Unfortunately, on the second to last ride of the day Jackie really smacked her tailbone and now sports quite the colourful bruise.

After the park we went home for a quiet meal of salmon and spagetti. I needed a high carb boost for the run the next morning. We called it a night early since we needed to be up at 4:30.

Friday was the day that Jackie and I had been training for since we first planned the trip. Unfortunately, as most of our readers are aware, Jackie damaged her hip flexor in Vienna and had to put her training on hold, so I was running solo in the Dubai Creek Striders' Half Marathon. We got to the Dubai Creek Yacht Club and milled around in the athlete's village while waiting for the start gun. Here I am cold and anxious:

*My shirt of choice from our 5 mile run in MA

The goal Jackie and I set and trained for was to run a 6 minute kilometer pace for 21 kilometers. Those quick with math will notice then that my target time was 2:06:00, with my stretch goal to run in under 2 hours. I was a little concerned because in all my long runs up until now my pace was slower so I mentally prepared myself for accepting a 2:10 or even a 2:15 completion time. 

At 6:30 the gun went off and I started my run. Jack, Mike, and Sheila were waiting a little up the course to see me off. 

I know it was hard for Jack to watch me run knowing that she had put as much effort into training as I did. It was because of her we even started running. I really do appreciate all the support she has given and I can only imagine how aggravating the injury must have been for her. Instead of running, she had a more leisurely morning, going with Mike and Sheila for breakfast at the nearby Golf Club.


I ran the first 5k a little faster than my target pace, about 5:30 per kilometer. I was feeling excited and I think the adrenaline helped me a fair bit. I ended up keeping that pace most of the race. I started to feel a bit tired around the half way mark, but still was feeling good. By kilometer 17 (of 21) I was really exhausted and only by keeping track of the people around me was I motivated enough not to slow down. In kilometer 19 I was passed by the 2 hour Pace Runner (a guy who wears a little flag to be easily spotted who runs the race in as close to 2 hours as possible). I found that pretty motivating and struggled to keep pace with him. In the final stretch I turned it on as best I could and overtook him in the last 200m. 



My GPS watch read 1:59:24, which I was thrilled by. I was thoroughly exhausted and I think the photos show that:


For full disclosure, we checked my official time online that night and I was recorded as 2:00:36. So just shy of my stretch goal, but still very good. I do not know how I lost a minute between my watch and the race time, but I will let it go.

After a quick shower, we made for the Dubai World Cup golf tournament. It is the last tournament of the year in the European Tour. After some difficulty finding the road to the course, we were out in the beautiful sunshine watching the European Pros tee off. We spent close to two hours watching golfers come in on the 9th and then the 18th hole. We made sure to watch the pair Sergio Garcia and Rory McIlroy tee off at the first. McIlroy was poised to lead the European Tour if he wins the tournament this weekend. 

We didn't take any photos on the course, but we did later see ourselves on tv:
*Mike and Jackie over Sergio's shoulder (far right)

*Me and Sheila (far right)

That evening we went to a house warming party for Mike's co-worker who lives on the other side of the marina. We did not stay for the potluck dinner but we did have a good time and it was nice to meet Mike and Sheila's friends. 

From the house party we went to a favourite bar of Mike and Sheila's for a round of drinks. Afterwards we went to a restaurant at the Marriott Hotel for dinner. It was a great evening.

After dinner we came back and opened a bottle of wine from our wedding. It was a nice top off to a great day and stay in Dubai.
*The view from Mike and Sheila's apartment at night

This morning Mike and Sheila made us a delicious breakfast of omelets and hash browns, which we enjoyed outside on the patio, trying to soak in our last hours of warmth and sunshine before flying back to Ontario and its winter weather.

The day was pretty low key, with a walk around the marina, followed by laying at the pool. We are doing our best to rest up for the day ahead. Jackie and I leave tonight at midnight for a 28 hour trip home. We are going first to Doha then Rome. Then in Rome we have a fairly long layover to give us time to collect our baggage, enter the EU, turn around and re-enter security, then fly to Frankfurt. From Frankfurt we connect to Toronto to land at 7:30PM EST. Should be a ball. See you on the flipside.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Daryl, Great Run!!!! Congratulations!
    Safe trip back to Ontario. Looking forward to being together when we all return
    love you two,
    mom,dad & Jacquelyn

    ReplyDelete