Where are we?


Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Day 3: Västerås to Stockholm

I guess I should begin by saying day 2 was an ABB day, both Jackie and I went to different ABB locations to meet with people, and in Jackie's case, give a presentation. It was not standard 'travel' so there were not many photos taken.

Day 3, however, provided us with some free time so we got to see some more of Vasteras before catching the afternoon train to Stockholm.

I have looked a little deeper into making the map on our page more interactive and allowing people to zoom out to see 'where in the world is Stockholm'. I have found that the google api I am using sends my page a static image, and not a java script enabled google map. I can spend the time finding a better pre-canned solution, or I can learn a bit of HTML and actually put an embedded map on the page. It doesn't sound too hard but will require a bit of time to implement, and currently I'm itching to get back out into the city so it will remain a problem for another day.

Below are some of the pictures we took:

This statue was in the centre of Vasteras, we were told it depicts ABB employees on their way to work back when ABB owned almost every industry in town. Spot the turtle catching a ride with them! Sweden seems about as bike friendly as the Netherlands, most roads have bike paths, and many people ride their bikes to work and around town.

We ordered salads for lunch. They go a little heavy handed on the toppings, notice the shrimp on Jackie's plate.

Here we are in Stockholm. We did some walking around through the old city centre and the waterfront. We will be here until Monday so there is still lots of time to see more once Jackie is done with her conference.

A 'craft' brewery... my ass.

1 comment:

  1. The mountain of shrimp is a little overboard, but what is that on your plate Daryl? Is that a brick and a half of cheese?

    ReplyDelete